Thursday, January 19, 2006

Sentinel ignorant LTTE dumbass

Now this one required a little differentiation from a normal dumbass. Supposedly this person's traveled extensively, but doesn't realize that most European (and probably all but African) countries' citizens speak two or more languages. And I thought the China example somewhat ironic. See if you can spot the irony.

Pandering
Posted January 19, 2006
I saw a bumper sticker the other day that my grandmother would have enjoyed: "Welcome to America; Now Speak English."

My grandmother landed at Ellis Island in 1903 and couldn't speak a word of English, but she learned. I can still hear her telling my grandfather to speak English, not German, because, as she told him: You are an American now!

I've traveled extensively, and the United States is the only country that panders to non-English speaking people. I'm not against our fellow citizens from other countries. I just believe they should learn the language. I take exception to having to choose between English and Spanish every time I call my bank, credit-card company, city, county, state or federal government.

You aren't given a choice in Mexico or France or Germany between the languages of those countries and English. What's laughable is that our archenemy, communist China, requires that all high-school and college students throughout the country study American English. The way our economy is going, maybe we should be learning Chinese, not Spanish.

Kenneth Puckett

Leesburg

Congratulations Ken, you are a dumbass. Maybe you should pay a little more attention when you're traveling, or at least get your head out of your ass. You might see some spectacular sites.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home